Sunday, August 24, 2014

Decide to Ride

When I reached the top of the paved road I was greeted at the trailhead by a hiker who said to me, “That was quite a climb! You used your heart, lungs and mind.” I replied, while gasping for air, “Yes, all of the above!” Pretty ironic he said those words to me on this particular day because this was the day I had made the decision to make it up a steep section that I like to refer to as Heinous Hill. I can ride it while in my worst bike shape and I can hike-a-bike up it in my best bike shape. So what gives? Why can I ride it some days but not on other days? The answer is simple. It all comes down to making a choice.

Some days I choose to climb, some days I choose to quit. On the days when I decide to quit, as soon as it starts to get challenging I put my foot on the ground. If I think about how hard it’s going to be then I give myself permission to quit. Other days I fool myself into thinking I’m going to climb it but I neglect to set myself up for success. And knowing I am not properly prepared, somehow makes it okay to quit.

So how do I set myself up for success? First, I make the decision to DO IT, this is an important step, because once I’ve made the decision to do it, then my mind isn’t consumed with thoughts of negativity. But that’s not all it takes. I also need to prepare myself by lowering my seat, switching gears, and drinking water. I focus on my breathing pattern, which prevents any mind chatter from sneaking in. I pull strength from deep inside to power me through. My eyes are focused slightly ahead but not too far ahead toward the upcoming obstacles. I allow nothing to stand in my way, not the rocks, not the ruts, and not the narrow line. I’m committed, I’m breathing, I’m in the moment. I’m doing it!
Victory is right around the corner, never give up! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment