Monday, December 31, 2012

Headed up the "Face" trail in 2011 with son Nolan

Face It, Lighten Up, and Be Sure-Footed into the New Year
I just completed my last hike in 2012! I carried my backpack with weight and headed up the “face” trail on Mt. Burdell. It’s an unmarked trail but I’ve always called it the “face” because it literally goes straight up the mountain.
As I’m climbed I thought about my goals for the new year - get back to morning workouts, make strength training a part of my routine, spend more quality time with the hubby, create a vision board, meditate, be more mindful of my alcohol intake, eat better - it all sounds obtainable.  

I thought about the pack I carried on my back as I often wear when I am training for a climb or backpack trip. As I enter a new year I will face my challenges, my goals, and my dreams head on and no matter what heavy loads I carry on my shoulders – judgment, resentment, fear, negativity -  I will remain light and work through any obstacles that may arise.

As I climbed the steep face, slowly and rhythmically, deep in my thoughts, I placed the tip of my boot down on a step and lost my balance. I felt my body being pulled by the weight of my pack. I quickly leaned forward toward the mountain to regain my balance. My heart skipped a beat and I said “woah!” out loud then hiked on telling myself to be more sure-footed, now and into the new year.

So long 2012. I welcome 2013 with an open heart and an open mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment